Saturday, April 29, 2006

Phishing the murky depths

I've received a fair number of phishing attempts in my time, but this one beats them all on several accounts(read on to find out why I didn't even report it to Google!)


I have a new email address!
You can now email me at: [removed so you won't]

Dear Sir/madam,




US$250 million Dollar Agricultural Grant For Farmers and Ranchers





We offer Agricultural Grant of US$250 million dollar for Farmers and Ranchers from National Department of Agriculture (NDA) This Grant is for Experienced farmers and ranchers who are unable to obtain financing from commercial credit sources.


Loan amounts range from $ $2,000,000.00 to $100,000,000.00 and $100,000,000.00 to $250,000,000.00 (amount varies based on Applicant capability).


United Nation Development Project (UNDP) in Africa is the sponsor of this facility.


REASON FOR CONTACTING YOU:


My name is Dr. Thomas Quam and I am the Director of Farm Operations in the National Department of Agriculture (NDA). I need your assistance to hold on my behalf the sum of $4.5Million, which has been allocated to unexisting Farmer. It is my entire plan to have this done so that I can benefit from this opportunity.


YOU ROLE:


I will present you as foreign representatives to some of the farmers and Ranchers in charge of procuring imported farm equipments. so as to obtain clearance from the UNDP fund clearance office here. As soon as the clearance is obtained then the sum of $4.5Million will be transferred to you and all the records will be destroyed leaving no trace of the transaction.


YOUR GAIN:


You will be compensated with the sum of $1Million for your role in this transaction. If you are interested, please send your Names, Phone and fax number, your physical address, On receipt of this information I will call you immediately to clarify areas you are in doubt.


Expecting your response.


Yours faithfully,

Dr. Thomas Quam

Director, Operations

NDA.






- Thomas Quam


First of all, this little sucker actually managed to slip through Gmail's filter. That's a pretty incredible feat. In the entire time I've had my gmail account, I've had maybe 10 spams/phishers get through, and most of those by totally obfuscating their own message. Impressive!

Second of all, note that this phisher is inviting you to defraud a UNDP development project for farmers in legitimate need!! Can you believe this!

Third, note the incredible candor of someone(albeit a character in the scam) who is risking their job and their name to rip off the aid organisation they work for: "It is my entire plan to have this done so that I can benefit from this opportunity." Wow, no mincing words here.

Fourth, note that this character suggests actually convincing real farmers to allow the money to go overseas and then sticking it to them and running off!


My conclusion(and the reason I didn't report it)? Anyone evil enough to be drawn in by this scam absolutely one hundred percent deserves to lose as much money as they are willing to put up!!! If phishing switches over to this kind of mode in general I have to say we might not want to get rid of it!

No comments: