Saturday, August 27, 2005

A stroll through Winnipeg

Winnipeg is an amazing city. I headed out for a stroll today to pick up some things and ended up walking up Main Street into a little chinatown of sorts. There, I found an incredible asian supermarket sporting an array of the finest oriental products to be had this side of the Pacific, all at prices you wouldn't believe. Walking back, I came by an office building stylised like a giant pagoda, with a beautiful covered oriental bridge crossing over the road for pedestrians, where I took shelter from a brief spasmic downpour. Across the bridge and down a steep flight of stairs I found a beautiful asian water-garden with a bridge snaking its way across it. A little further along the road, I came by a park where a band was performing, with a few spectators left who had decided to brave the watery torrent and had been rewarded with a brief respite. While the cultural fabric of this city might be a little less diverse than Toronto, it makes up for it with the beautiful old buildings and wonderful architecture and with the lush riverside parks. This is a city I am definitely growing to love.

No comments: